Forest Department's recommendation comes in the FAQ section of their website (Click to view).
What are economically important fast growing tree species?
- Ailanthus excelsa - (Perumaram, Pee maram, Peematti in Tamil)
- Melia dubia - (Malai Vembu in Tamil)
- Kaya senegalensis - (Kaya or Senegal Mahogany in Tamil)
- Anthocephalus cadamba - (Vellai Kadambu in Tamil)
- Alstonia scholaris - (English - Blackboard tree, Indian devil tree, Ditabark, Milkwood pine, White cheesewood, Seven-leaved milk plant and Pokok pulai, Tamil - Ezhilai-Palai)
- Albizia richardiana - (Tamil name: ???? Readers are requested to help)
- Acrocarpus fraxinifolius - Common name: Pink Cedar, Acrocarpo, Australian ash and Indian ash. Tamil: Kalingi, Kurangadi, Malai konnai, Mallaykone, Mallekone and Nelrai.
- Casuarina junghuhniana - (Tamil: Indonesian savukku or Junguniana Savukku)
- Bamboo (Varieties: Malocanna baccifera, Bambusa nutans, B. Bamboos, B. tulda, B. vulgaris, B. Balcooa)
10. Gmelina arborea (Kumil, Perungumil, Kumula maram in Tamil)
11. Grewia tiliaefolia (Thadasu, Sadachi in Tamil)
12. Albizia falcataria (Kattumaram in Tamil)
13. Acacia auriculiformis (Pencil Tree. Tamil: Kathi savukku,Elai karuvel)
14. Eucalyptus - (Tamil: Thaila maram)
The following trees though not comes under fast growing category, are strongly recommended for their timber value:
15. Pterocarpus santalinus - (Red Sanders.Tamil: Sivappu Santhanam)
16. Pterocarpus marsupium - (Indian Kino Tree. Tamil: Vengai)
17. Santalum album - (Sandal wood. Tamil: Santhana maram)
You might have noticed that most of the trees listed above were already find mentioned somehow or other in this blogspot. The unrepresented ones will be given due importance in the coming months.
Some readers may be wondering why I have not included,
Tectona grandis - The common Teak,
Haldinia Cardifolia (Tamil : Manja Kadambu ),
Caesalpinia sapppan (Tamil:Pathimugam),
Swietenia macrophylla- The Peruvian Mahogany,
Thespesia populnea - (Tamil: Poovarasu)
Hardwickia binnata - (Tamil: Aachaa)
and so many other trees of some reasonable value in the above list.
Dear friends, that is a different story, worthy enough to allocate a separate post for each variety.